350 Years of New Castle, Delaware:
Chapters in a Town's History
edited by Constance Cooper
New Castle, Delaware, one of America's historical and architectural treasures, has a considerable history that began in 1651 when the town was founded as Fort Casimir by the Dutch West Indies Company. Captured by the Swedes and retaken by the Dutch, Fort Casimir then became New Amstel, a colony of the city of Amsterdam. In 1664 the English took control of New Amstel and gave it yet another name, New Castle, and the town remained under English control until 1776.
New Castle, which served as Delaware's capital until 1777, was also the seat of New Castle County until 1881. In addition the town was a transportation hub in the late 1700s and early 1800s and a manufacturing center from the mid-1800s until the mid-1900s. Its people erected beautiful homes and public buildings, whose survival and continuing usefulness make New Castle a model of historic preservation.
This richly illustrated anthology, published in celebration of New Castle's 350th anniversary, provides an introduction to the town's significant historical heritage.
- add to cart